24 Preludes : Work information
- Work name
- 24 Preludes
- Work number
- Op. 11
- 1896-01-01 02:01:00
- Recording date
- 1974-01-01 02:00:00
Alexander (Nikolayevich) Skryabin
Alexander Skryabin was born in Moscow.
As early 1892, and before completing his piano and composition studies at the Moscow conservatory, he had embarked upon a career as piano virtuoso, which he would pursue practically until his death in 1915.
To confine Skryabin's Works and musical personality to existing models proves virtually impossible for several reasons.
In a short space of time - 30 years at the most - he had written around a hundred works, of which 74 gave a pre - eminent role to the piano solo.
- MIDI FILE - Etude op.2 n.1 for piano (2'07'')
Evolution of style through this prolific output was absolutely staggering.
Although he remained loyal to the piano from 1890 Skryabin turned towards the orchestra.
With his Symphonic works "the Divine Poem" of 1903, the Poem of Ecstasy of 1907, Prometheus or the Poem of Fire of 1910, Skryabin started the building a system of ideas both philosophical and mystical in nature, but which jeopardized his music reaching the general public for a number of years.
He was a leading innovator in the field of harmony and rhythm - his last compositions are atonal and frequently contain superimposing of rhythms drawn from different periods - but he died before finishing his final work.
- MIDI FILE - Prelude op.2 n.2, for piano (1'06'')
The libretto for this secular mystery, written by the composer himself, plainly reveals the ultimate goal toward which he was striving: transfiguration of the Cosmos through art.
- MIDI FILE - Etude op.8 no. 4 for piano (1'00'')
- MIDI FILE - Prelude op.11 no. 14 for piano (1'05'')
- No. 1 in C: Vivace 0:48 min
- No. 2 in A minor: Allegretto 1:43 min
- No. 3 in G: Vivo 0:45 min
- No. 4 in E minor: Lento 2:06 min
- No. 5 in D: Andante cantabile 1:53 min
- No. 6 in B minor: Allegro 0:59 min
- No. 7 in A: Allegro assai 0:50 min
- No. 8 in F sharp minor: Allegro agitato 1:08 min
- No. 9 in E: Andantino 1:39 min
- No. 10 in C sharp minor: Andante 1:25 min
- No. 11 in B: Allegro assai 1:14 min
- No. 12 in G sharp minor: Andante 1:51 min
- No. 13 in G flat: Lento 1:59 min
- No. 14 in E flat minor: Presto 1:02 min
- No. 15 in D flat: Lento 2:29 min
- No. 16 in B flat minor: Misterioso 1:44 min
- No. 17 in A flat: Allegretto 0:35 min
- No. 18 in F minor: Allegro agitato 0:50 min
- No. 19 in E flat: Affettuoso 1:10 min
- No. 20 in C minor: Appassionato 0:59 min
- No. 21 in B flat: Andante 1:29 min
- No. 22 in G minor: Lento 1:30 min
- No. 23 in F: Vivo 0:30 min
- No. 24 in D minor: Presto 0:41 min